Palm Beach Gardens Campus - Chess
Chess is an integral part of the Franklin Academy curriculum. Dating back to the sixth century AD, chess is an excellent way to learn to focus, analyze problems, plan and execute solutions, and learn decision making skills that will help them throughout their life.
Studies have demonstrated that students who have completed a course in chess have shown significant improvement in science, mathematics, critical thinking and social skills.
At Franklin, chess is offered as one of the specials rotation for grades K‐5, and as an elective option for grades 6‐12. It is also offered as an afterschool club and as a competitive team that competes against other schools in local, regional and national tournaments.
Check with your local chess coach to confirm dates and times for Chess Club meetings.
The chess teams at each campus will be hosting chess tournaments and traveling to other locations to participate in chess tournaments. Check with your chess coach for details on plans to participate in the tournaments below.
Franklin Hosted Tournaments
|12/7/19||Winter Wonderland Chess Tournament||Boynton Beach|
|12/7/19||South Florida Grand Prix||Cooper City|
|12/7/19||Chess Tournament||Pembroke Pines K-12|
|1/20/20||MLK Chess Tournament||Boynton Beach|
|1/25/20||South Florida Grand Prix||Cooper City|
|2/15/20||Valentine's Day Chess Tournament||Boynton Beach|
|2/20/20||2020 Franklin Academy Championship||Palm Beach Gardens|
|2/29/20||South Florida Grand Prix||Cooper City|
|3/14-3/15/20||Florida State Girl's Championship||Boynton Beach|
|4/18/20||South Florida Grand Prix||Cooper City|
|5/30/20||South Florida Grand Prix||Cooper City|
|8/30 - 9/2||ARNOLD DENKER FLORIDA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP||PALM BEACH GARDENS|
|9/1||FLORIDA STATE BLITZ CHAMPIONSHIP||PALM BEACH GARDENS|
|9/2||FLORIDA STATE QUICK CHAMPIONSHIP||PALM BEACH GARDENS|
|9/28||USCF 1000+ PALM BEACH CHESS QUADS||NORTH PALM BEACH (LIBRARY)|
|10/26||USCF 1000+ PALM BEACH CHESS QUADS||NORTH PALM BEACH (LIBRARY)|
|11/15-11/17||18TH ANNUAL TURKEY BOWL||CORAL SPRINGS|
|11/16||GREENE SCHOOL PREMIERE CHESS TOURNAMENT||WEST PALM BEACH|
|11/30||USCF 1000+ PALM BEACH CHESS QUADS||NORTH PALM BEACH (LIBRARY)|
|12/13 - 12/15||NATIONAL GRADE CHAMPIONSHIPS||LAKE BUENA VISTA|
|1/3 - 1/5||6TH ANNUAL GULF COAST NEW YEAR'S OPEN||FORT MYERS/ESTERO|
|3/6 - 3/8||FLORIDA STATE SCHOLASTIC CHAMPIONSHIP||ORLANDO|
|4/24 - 4/26||2020 NATIONAL JUNIOR HIGH (K-9) CHAMPIONSHIP||JACKSONVILLE|
The Palm Beach Gardens 5th grade team won the state title!
On October 15, 2016, Franklin Academy’s Palm Beach Gardens chess coaches partnered with the Florida Panthers for a day of chess and hockey. Read the story about the event on the US Chess Federation’s website.
Recent Notable Franklin Results
- Playing with enthusiasm, confidence, and tenacity, the Franklin Academy Cooper City Chess team has once again captured 1st place at the South Florida Grand Prix chess tournament. This tournament is open to all South Florida school players with over 120 chess competitors. Franklin's Cooper City has now won 1st place in rated chess tournaments in all age categories (except K-1) this 2019-20 school year.
· (K - 5 or K - 8) Palm Beach County District Champions (2017 - 2019)
· (K - 5 or K - 8) South Florida Regional Champions (2017 - 2019)
· (K - 5) Florida State Scholastic Champions (2017)
· ( 6th Grade ) Grade Level Nationals 7th Place (2017)
· ( 7th Grade) Grade Level Nationals 3rd Place (2018)
· (K - 8) 7th Place Junior High National Championship (2019)
Meet Our Chess Teachers
Mr. Marcos Alvarez (K-5)
Mr. Charles Hicks (MYP)
Palm Beach Gardens
Pembroke Pines (K‐8)
Pembroke Pines (K‐12)
Mr. Howard Garwood (K-5)
Ms. Amelia Hernandez, Woman FIDE Master